The best way to hunt is going to depend on your experience, preferences, local terrain, weather, budget, and the properties you have permission to hunt on. The three strategies that we talk about in this episode are the most likely methods that new hunters will use to successfully hunt whitetail deer. The one that is best for you will depend on your situation.
- Tree hunting gives you the best chances for success most of the time, but you need to know your spot really well, have the budget and energy to get set up well in advance of the hunting season, and pick a limited area to hunt.
- Ground hunting with a good cushion is the most versatile and cost effective way to hunt. It requires the least preparation and you can move spots as easily as you can stand up. It does however put you right in the middle of a deer’s sense of sight, smell, and sound as you are in the same place as their predators.
- Ground hunting with a blind gives some concealment but limits you to a specific area, and adds additional cost. It can be a good option if you need to hunt areas without good trees to climb or lean against.
- Still hunting, or walking and hunting is an advanced technique, but it is possible to have some success if you play the weather and terrain just right.
- The best thing you can do is get into the woods and hunt. Experience will inform you about where to invest your time and resources. Don’t spend too much your first year, focus on getting experience so you can make informed decisions next time around.
Gear Mentioned In The Episode: