It is easy to think you need a dog to hunt ducks, but those thoughts are only propagated by people who rely on dogs. Not only can you hunt ducks without a dog, you can sometimes be more effective without one. On this episode I talk about the advantages and disadvantages of hunting with a dog and how you can be effective without one.
What dogs can do:
- Retrieve your birds so you don’t have to get up, keeping you comfortable.
- Potentially retrieve the birds faster than you could have, resulting in less down time.
- Retrieve ducks from deep water, which is very handy.
- More effectively retrieve crippled birds, so fewer get away.
What dogs do not do:
- Help you call in and shoot ducks. In fact they do nothing to help you take game.
- Make it easier to hide. They can add movement and noise which are potential liabilities.
- Anything you cannot do, without the right equipment. You can accomplish the same tasks when prepared.
Listen to the episode to hear about how to hunt waterfowl without a dog.