Black bears are one of the most impressive predators you can hunt in North America. They have a large and diverse home range which affords many opportunities to newer hunters. On this episode I interview Alaska native and long time black bear enthusiast Jeff Lund about how to get started hunting these amazing creatures.
- Jeff Lund is the host of The Mediocre Alaskan podcast
- Jeff also recently released the book A Miserable Paradise – Life In Southeast Alaska
- Black bears can grow to up to 350lbs in some areas
- The best place to find black bears is around food sources, often by streams full of fish or in the higher elevations with good forage
- These bears are not typically a threat to humans under normal field conditions, but always put your safety first
- Seasons differ across the country but the closer the bears get to hibernating the more temperamental they may become
- Listen to the episode to hear about how beginners can get into black bear hunting.