Some deer hunting principles are universal and some apply more specifically to the rut. In this episode I share the story of a great hunt and the 5 strategies that enabled me to take a buck this year during the peak rut.
- Location, Location, Location. Almost nothing matters more than where you decide to setup. But the strategies you use all year to judge a good location need to change for the peak rut.
- Habitat Improvements. Small efforts that have a small impact on deer movement can have a big pay off come the rut.
- Always Mind The Wind. The wind is the friend of those who consider it, and the it is the enemy of everyone else.
- Scent Control. Small, free, thoughtful actions can make the difference between a good hunt and empty woods.
- Knowing when to be still and when to move. One wrong move can literally ruin a hunt, and even a whole day.