For many, hunting is a seasonal pleasure. But it has the potential to be a year-round pursuit, even when you are not in the woods chasing game. On this episode I talk about cultivating the joy of the year-round hunt.
Simple ways to enjoy whitetail deer hunting even during the off season:
- Scouting and checking trail cameras to see what deer survived the hunting season.
- Watching movement and feeding patterns in winter when cover is sparse in the woods.
- Looking for new tree stand locations during the winter when cover better resembles its fall state.
- Checking trail cameras to see what deer survived the winter.
- Hunting for antler sheds.
- Planting clover or other food plots.
- Watching anthers grow via trail cameras over the spring and summer.
- Creating habitat improvements.
- Studying summer and fall movement patterns to help direct hunting locations.
- Shopping for gear on Black Friday and after Christmas when deals abound.
- Mounting antlers, tails, or your trophies of choice.
- Talking about hunting and sharing stories.
- Thinking about past hunts and anticipating new ones.
- Practicing with your rifle and/or bow.
- The list goes on and on!