Woodchucks, also known as groundhogs and whistle pigs, may be the single easiest type of game to start hunting. On this episode I talk about how easy it is to get started no matter what equipment you already have.
- Woodchucks in some states can be hunted 12 months a year, with no limits. Any day you can find one, you can hunt it.
- Though they do hibernate during the 3-6 coldest months of the year depending on where you live.
- You can use almost any type of firearm to hunt woodchucks if it’s legal in your state. Rifle, shotgun, even handgun.
- Woodchucks are menaces, their borrows can damage yards, fields, structures, etc. So they are hunted for pest control, not food.
- You can hunt them up close, at a distance, or at very long range, whatever suits you and your equipment.
- The only thing you need in Pennsylvania to hunt them is an orange hat and pretty much any gun potent enough to kill them.