Dove hunting is one of the most fun types of hunting for those who can find a decent spot to do it, some people even consider it their favorite. On this episode I talk about how easy it is to get started with this cherished past time.
- Why hunt doves? Sport and cuisine is the short answer. They are the flying bird that some hunters train all year to hunt. They are also easy to prepare and delicious to eat.
- Doves are a migratory game bird, so you are usually hunting them as they travel south for the winter.
- Doves and pigeons are closely related, if not the same bird, and they are among the most commonly eaten birds in the world.
- Doves can be hunted with any shotgun, and the cheapest shells available. Typically size 7-9 shot is ideal. No special gear is needed.
- You do not need a lot of camouflage or cover, the best approach is to position yourself so they fly right into to shooting range without being able to see you from a distance.
- The best time of day depends on when they are flying through your area, so it varies. Test mornings, afternoons, and evenings to see how things work where you live.
- Ideally you hunt doves along the edge of a field or clearing where they will come to land for food, rest, or water during their journey.