Contrary to popular belief, does and bucks only coexist for brief periods of time. Most of their lives are spent in different areas. On this episode I talk about understanding the habits of both so you can hunt each more effectively.
- Does tend to live in the same areas year round.
- Bucks have a home range that is more isolated, and for good reason.
- Bucks leave their home range, in part or whole, during the rut.
- Even when does and bucks come together for the rut, they both will behave differently and have different movement patterns.
- If you want to understand the life cycle of a buck then you need to understand and annual cycle of their antlers.
- If you see bucks on your land throughout the year, they will likely be absent during the rut.
- And if you see no bucks during the year, it is likely they will come around during the rut, but not in the exact same places as does.