From beginner to expert, the backpack is a staple piece of gear for almost all hunters. Picking the right backpack is very important because you will use it for almost every hunt in every season. It is an important decision but it doesn’t need to be complicated or expensive. On this episode I talk about how to pick the right backpack and what to put inside it.
- Do not let other people, especially ones selling backpacks tell you what is important to you.
- Start with something you already have or can get cheap, hunt with it, and let experience tell you what features matter to you.
- More expensive does not always mean more useful for YOU.
- The features that often add cost are not always features that will benefit you or your hunting style.
- The best backpack out there is the one that will do what YOU need it to do, reliably and consistently. And that usually amounts to something that will carry your stuff.
- Your pack does need to be comfortable, concealable, and rugged.
- Bigger is not better, in fact often smaller is better for longer hunts.