Duck hunting can be gear intensive, so to say one piece of gear is the most important is a big claim. But nothing is more important than safety and if something can keep you safe and help you hunt more effectively, it tops the charts. On this episode I talk with Bill Dickinson, a life-long duck hunter, doctor, and co-founder of an amazing outdoor company that is changing lives and the culture of waterfowl hunting.
- Until recently there has been no great way to hunt ducks and protect your hearing. Ear plugs ruined the hunt and electronic ear plugs only sort of ruined the hunt while often creating other issues.
- Hearing loss is cumulative over time. Every shot taken potentially harms your hearing some, for other it causes more harm.
- Research shows that some people’s hearing can take more of a beating while other people lose their hearing faster. But sometimes even those with robust hearing are unexpectedly just one gunshot away from partial deafness.
- Bill, who is a doctor of audiology, co-founded a company called Tetra Hearing with the express goal of not just protecting people’s hearing, not just preserving the experience and sounds of the hunt, but also enhancing your ability to hunt better.
- Every device is tuned to match your personal hearing levels and ranges.
- For those with perfect hearing, Bill’s product enables you to hear like normal while magnifying the sounds that ducks make so you can hear them from even further away.
- As soon as you pull the trigger a sensor causes the device to go from amplification to suppression, blocking out the sound of the gunshot like traditional ear plugs.
- For those with poor hearing, Tetra’s product acts as a hearing aid, amplifying the sounds of the woods to match your hearing level and augmenting the unique sounds that ducks make.
- And again, as soon as you take a shot, it provides instant hearing protection.
- Always wear hearing protection of some kind, if at all possible. ESSPECIALLY when you may be taking multiple shots or hunting with others who may be shooting too.
You can learn more about Bill’s work and company by visiting TetraHearing.com and you can take a free hearing test to help assess your current condition.
(Disclaimer, there are no affiliate links, no commissions or kick backs, I do not make a dollar if you purchase anything. I genuinely and strongly believe in the work Bill is doing)